As you might already know, I am a fan of aubergine. Grilled, roasted, baked, fried: I’ll have it all with a big smile. Smoky aubergine is a pure delight and easily achieved by roasting it under a grill or simply in pan (without any oil). The skin then starts to burn and give the flesh the lovely smokiness. As this salad contains very few ingredients, they need to be of good quality so that the flavour of each really comes through the dish. I love a good fleshy, flavoursome cœur de bœuf; if you can’t find any, you can substitute it with another type of tomato, as long as the flavour is good.
For 2-3 persons
- 2 aubergines
- 1 medium onion
- 1 cœur de bœuf tomato
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Cut the aubergines in half, lengthwise. Place them under a grill and roast them about 30 minutes until nice and soft. If you don’t have a grill or something similar or if you don’t want the smoky taste, you can roast the aubergines in the oven at 200ºC for about 25 minutes.
- When done, scoop the flesh and discard the skin. Spread the aubergine on a large plate and season with a bit of salt.
- Cut the tomato into small pieces.
- Finely chop the onion.
- Top the aubergine with the onion and tomato.
- Finish off with a sprinkle of oregano and a drizzle of olive oil.