My favourite dishes have usually two things in common: simplicity and pure flavour. The simplicity of preparation and the purity of flavours when you kan actually taste the different ingredients. That’s why I really love Lebanese, Italian and Peruvian cuisines. This little Italian inspired dish reflects that and is a perfect side dish that can also be combined with risotto or a pasta.
1 aubergine (eggplant)
Zest from 1 lemon
A handful of walnuts
A small handful of basil leaves
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Freshly ground black pepper
Optional: Pecorino Romano or Parmigiano Reggiano
- Remove the tops of the aubergine and zucchini and cut them lengthwise in slices 5mm thick.
- Brush them with a bit of oil and grill them on the barbecue, grill pan or under an oven grill.
- Roughly chop the walnuts and basil leaves. Mix them with the olive oil and lemon zest and season with the salt and pepper.
- Place the warm grilled slices on a serving dish and garnish with the oil mixture.
- Optional: grated some pecorino or parmesan to finish.