Hamburgers. They’re all around you, in all shapes and sizes, flavours and combinations. The variations are endless and so is the choice! This version with the blue cheese and homemade relish has that added richness in flavour and the dish becomes a bit more special. Go ahead and give it a try and don’t be afraid to try new variations: with other types of cheese, flavoured mayonnaise (with basil or truffel), different herbs and spices in the meat. Go wild! It’s hamburger, for goodness’ sake!
For 2 persons
- 350 gr minced beef
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mosterd
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Salt en pepper
- 2 buns
- 6 rashers smoked streaky bacon
- Blue cheese
- 2 red onions
- Small knob of butter
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon mosterd
- 250 ml vegetable oil (sunflower or peanut)
- Place all the ingredients for the patties in a food processor and mix well (you can do this by hand as well). Divide the meat in two equal parts, roll them into balls and then flatten them with the palms of your hand into nice thick patties.
- For the mayonnaise, put the egg, mosterd and lemon juice in a small container and pour the oil on top. Push a handheld blender all the way, start mixing and pulling the blender very slowly up.
- Chop the onion into long thin slices. Melt the butter in a pan, add the onion and let cook until soft on low heat, about 10 minutes. Add the sugar and the vinegar. When you get a syrupy consistency, turn off the heat.
- In a frying pan, fry the bacon until brown. Remove from the heat, place them on kitchen paper. As they cool, they will get crispy.
- Melt some butter in a large frying; add the patties and fry them on high heat until brown on both sides.
- Slice the buns and toast them under a grill.
- Once the patties have been cooked, put the cheese on top and let it melt under the grill.
- To serve, spread a generous spoon of mayonnaise on one half the bun, place the patty with the melted cheese, top with the bacon and relish and cover with the other half of the bun. Serve it with a simple green salad and, if you want, some fries and extra mayonnaise.