The traditional Peruvian ceviche is a wonderful dish and it all has to do with the marinade and sauce, called Leche de Tigre or Tiger’s milk. Three powerful flavours are combined together: coriander, chili pepper and lime juice. Besides fish and seafood, you can make ceviche with fruits and vegetables. It is particularly good with sweet, ripe mango or with avocado, like in this recipe. The lime ensures the avocado keeps its beautiful green colour and doesn’t turn brown, even if you keep it in the fridge for a couple of days.
For 4-6 persons
- 4 avocados
- 1 limo chili (red Peruvian chili)
- 1 shallot
- 1 garlic clove
- Small piece of fresh ginger root
- A few coriander sprigs
- Juice of 4 limes
- 2 teaspoons ají amarillo paste (yellow Peruvian chili paste)
- For the sauce, combine the lime juice, garlic clove (peeled and cut into 3-4 pieces), and ginger root (peeled and cut in half). Stir and leave to infuse for about 5 minutes.
- Strain the mixture, add a bit of salt, the chili paste and the roughly chopped coriander leaves.
- Finely slice the shallot.
- Peel the avocados, remove the stone and cut into cubes.
- Mix the avocados with the shallot and the sauce and serve.