As I mention in the Chicken in Hummus Sauce recipe, my first taste of hummus as a sauce happened at Abu Hassan’s in one of Beirut’s busiest neighbourhoods Burj Hammoud. It actually was this recipe right here: a warm hummus sauce with chickpeas. It’s very easy and quick; with a salad on the side and some Lebanese bread you’ll have yourself a lovely flavoursome meal!
For 2 persons, 4 persons as part of a mezze
- 750 gr canned chickpeas
- 1 cube vegetable stock
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin seeds, and some extra for garnish
- Juice of half a lemon
- 50 ml tahini
- Olive oil
- Nut bread or Lebanese flatbread to serve
- Dissolve the stock cube in 250 ml hot water.
- Add 250 gr of the chickpeas, garlic and cumin to the stock and blitz into a puree.
- Fold the tahini and lemon juice in the mixture.
- Heat the rest of the chickpeas in a sauce pan until just warm.
- Add them to the sauce and mix well.
- Serve the dish luke warm with a drizzle of olive oil, a bit of cumin and the nut bread.