Making ice cream yourself might sound a bit daunting, but the truth is: it’s not that big of a deal. Even if you don’t have an ice cream machine (like me!), it’s a simple task. This recipe contains no dairy products and is based on coconut milk. A lovely vegan ice cream with endless variations!
- 300 ml coconut milk
- 75 ml maple syrup (you can substitute with honey)
- 2 tablespoons desiccated coconut
- 8 ripe dates
- Unsalted roasted cashew nuts
- Pineapple, chopped into small cubes
- Optional: rum!
- Pour the milk and maple syrup in pan and put on medium heat. Once the mixture has become homogenous, add the desiccated coconut and chopped dates.
- Remove from the heat and pour into a large shallow container and let cool.
- Place the mixture in the freezer and whisk it every 30 minutes until it is the right consistency.
- When ready to serve, put some crushed nuts and cubed pineapple in small bowls or cups, top with a nice scoop of ice cream and drizzle some rum to finish.
If you have an ice cream machine, pour the mixture in it and churn until smooth and frozen. The result will be creamier than without the machine.
Variations: instead of the dates, add some chocolate chips or other dried fruits, like raisins or plums; to make it ‘boozier’ add some rum in the mixture before you freeze; you can also add fresh fruits – pineapple or mango – to the mixture.