When I think about lunch, I think about rich, filling salads, without too much carbs and loaded with nutritious ingredients. This is salad is all of this and it’s one of my favourites. The combination of mango and chicken is simply amazing and the smokiness you get from the chicken gives a bit more depth. I complement the two main ingredients with some extra mango chutney for bit of tanginess and spice. I recommend you make the chutney ahead of time, then you’ll be done in no time with the rest of the preparation which basically consists of chopping; otherwise you can use ready-made chutney of simply leave it out of the equation. The salad will still taste very good. If you want some extra crunch, add some roasted cashew nuts.
For 2 persons
- 1 smoked chicken breast
- 1 ripe mango
- 260 gr canned beans (I use Edamame beans)
- 1 teaspoon sambal or chili paste
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons coriander leaves
- 100 gr spinach, preferably small leaves
- 3 ripe mangos
- 1 garlic clove
- 6 cardamom, only the seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chili pepper
- 100 ml white vinegar
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- Start with the chutney. Peel 3 mangos, remove the stone and roughly chop the flesh.
- Peel and finely chop the garlic.
- Heat a bit of oil in a pan, add the spices and fry about two minutes until fragrant.
- Add the mango, garlic and sugar. Mix well.
- Mix in the vinegar, bring to a boil and let simmer until the mango softens and the mixture thickens, about 30 minutes.
- Peel the mango, remove the stone and roughly chop in small pieces.
- Mix the sambal, olive oil, lime juice and coriander. Add the mango and the beans and bring to taste with a bit salt.
- Thinly slice the chicken.
- Divide the spinach between two plates and the mango beans mixture on top. Place the chicken on top and a heaped tablespoon of chutney.
- Serve the salad with some bread if you like and extra chutney. Enjoy!